Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Vintage-Style Serving Tray

A vintage-style serving tray made from a wooden frame and drawer pulls. 

----------

All you'll need:

  • 1 - 8"x10" wooden frame (mine was $5 at a thrift store)
  • 2 drawer pulls with screws (mine were $2.50 each at Home Depot)
  • screwdriver/drill
  • sandpaper
  • scrapbook paper, cut to fit frame
  • optional: coffee, tea, watercolors, etc. to "age" the paper
  • paintbrush
  • your trusty Mod Podge (I'd recommend "matte" over "gloss")

Step 1: 
I wanted my paper to have an aged look. Since I didn't have any coffee or tea in the house, I used a small amount of brown watercolor paint on a wet paper towel. Dab away!
 
 
Step 2:
Sand the frame, if necessary, to give it a more aged look as well.

Step 3:
Use a paintbrush to seal the wood with Mod Podge. I would recommend the matte variety for a vintage project like this one, but all I had was gloss and I do like the way it turned out.


Step 4:
Attach the drawer pulls on either side:
Measure -- at least twice! -- and mark where your screws will go.
I recommend drilling holes first, rather than simply inserting the screws, to avoid accidentally splitting the wood. 
Thanks for the power tool help, hubby! :))



Step 5:
Insert paper, reassemble frame, and voila!  A beautiful vintage serving tray. :)

3 comments:

  1. did you use the sealer on the paper too? This is mega-awesome! :) I wanna make one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. The paper is behind the glass, so no need to seal it.

      Delete
  2. oh! Okay, thanks... I don't know why, I was thinking you didn't use the glass. Even cooler then! :)

    ReplyDelete