Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Dry-Erase "I Love You Because..." Frame

This is a sweet Valentine’s Day gift for a loved one! Use dry-erase markers to take turns completing the statement “I love you because…”

----------

All you'll need:
  • unfinished wooden picture frame ($1 - $2 at craft stores)
  • paintbrush
  • pencil
  • scissors (or paper cutter, or utility knife)
  • scrapbook paper
  • stickers
  • your trusty Mod Podge
  • sandpaper (optional) 


    Step 1:
    Remove the glass from the frame.  Lay the frame face down on the BACK of the scrapbook paper.  Then use the pencil to trace its outline onto the paper.  



    Step 2:
    Carefully cut out the paper shape you’ve drawn.  I used a small paper trimmer, but scissors or a utility knife against a hard edge will work too.

    Step 3:
    Use the paintbrush to Mod Podge the paper onto the frame.  Work out any large air bubbles with your fingers.

    Step 4 (optional):
    If you have rough edges (I did!), sand the inner and outer edges of the frame.  Only do this after the Mod Podge is completely dry! 



    Step 5:
    Again use the paintbrush and the Mod Podge to seal the paper onto the wood and give the project some shine!


    Step 6:
    I printed my “I Love You Because…” insert from the computer, but you could always write it by hand on another cute piece of scrapbooking paper.  Once Step 5 has dried completely, put your print-out behind the frame’s clean glass, add your stickers/embellishments, and you’re done!


     
     

    2 comments:

    1. You have the cutest paper and I love the shape of the frame you used! Questions... did you use the mod podge to attach the embellishments as well? And... how do you hang it now?
      Thanks for sharing; you always have the best ideas!!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks for the questions! The embellishments I used were stickers, so I didn't add any adhesive. (They seemed very sticky -- but some stickers might not be, so you'd want to add something to them)

        I don't think I'm going to hang it... it has an easel on the back, so I think I'll just stand it up. But you could hang it on the wall as you would any other frame, or how about attaching a piece of ribbon that it can hang from? :)

        Delete